Monday, December 11, 2006

FOB #14

You want me to come up with 14?!?!

14. It's easier to knit in short sleeves because my needles (the ends) always get caught in my cuffs. The exception here is knitting with a cable needle. Crocheting does not discriminate against your attire.

13. Yarn that is particularly hard to frog because it is snagging on itself should be, in the words of Col. Klink, "be sent to the coolah!" It will let go a bit easier if it is frozen a more brittle.

12. Placement of the facial features on a hand-made animal or doll is critical to the final look it will have. It's amazing what moving eyes a fraction of an inch will do to the expression!

11. Excessive secret and holiday knitting and crocheting will dry your hands out and make them rough where the yarn repeatedly touches them.

10. My husband's hunting headlamps is the best in-the-dark knitting tool going! It has 3 shades of light, one of which is green and it's really easier on the eyes.

9. As a new knitter I became a needle snob. I had crocheted with metal hooks for so long that I loved the thought of bamboo and wood needles. Now I realize the value in the metal hooks and needles and am a needle snob no more.

8. Also after learning to knit I became a knit snob. I thought that crocheting was for people much older than me. How dumb is that? Now I know the error of my ways and see that they are each a beautiful and wonderful work of art and when combined form a delicous feast for the eyes!

7. I did not expect to become tearful the first time I covered up Miss Knotty with the blanket I made when I was still pregnant. Now that she is old enough to sleep with a blanket I really love covering her up with the one I crocheted in my 3rd trimester.

6. Zip-Lock style bags really are the best things to carry your current, working projects in! Everything stays right in place from the pattern to the hook/needle and the yarn is protected from accidents and toddlers! On that same note, I like to put all the yarn I've purchased for a particular project in one of these. Then I write the name of the project, what book the pattern is in, and what size I was planning on it to be.

5. I lke to store my free and downloaded patterns in page protectors. I place these in notebooks and have them organized by what they are: accessories, baby wear, sweaters, toys, etc.

4. You will be surprised how many resources there are on the web - patterns, tutorials, yarn sources, friendly blogs, etc.

3. I am still learning so much about knitting and crocheting. I've been crocheting for 13 years and knitting for 4 years and with every project I learn something new.

2. People who craft in any fashion are generally out-going, resourceful, bright, fun-loving and helpful!

1. There is nothing like seeing someone wear and enjoy what you've created! Especially your little sweetheart!

2 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Seriously? You just smoked through those answers! Those were great and so many useful tips. If only I could be yarn/pattern organized like Miz Knotty...
Love the one about Miss Knotty's blanket; it is beauitful. Number four was also true, until I knit I had no idea what was out there. And number one, well, I'm crossing my fingers this proves true come Christmas!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Facial features placement IS truly the most important part of softie making! It can make a crappy item look cute, or an otherwise cute item look dorky. You are so right.
It makes me very happy that you quoted Col. Klink.
I love it when Little Boo wears his Weasley sweater I made him. This will probably be the last winter he will be able to wear it (but it's the 3rd one!) and it makes me sad to think he's going to get that big.
What's happening to my baby?!?!?
You know I am right with you on the big notebook with page protectors!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home